The Value of Problem-Solving and the Power of Alignment


Hatched by Glasp

Sep 15, 2023

3 min read


The Value of Problem-Solving and the Power of Alignment


In today's fast-paced and interconnected world, problem-solving has become a crucial skill for individuals and organizations alike. However, it is important to recognize that finding problems is only a small part of the overall value. The true value lies in effectively communicating, aligning, and mobilizing people towards a common goal. This article explores the significance of alignment and offers actionable advice to foster a culture of problem-solving and collaboration within organizations.

The Importance of Alignment:

While identifying problems is essential, it is the process of getting people aligned and moving in the same direction that truly adds value. Technical skills may be required to find the right solution, but without effective communication, diplomacy, and alignment, the solution becomes meaningless. In fact, knowing what to do accounts for only around 10% of the solution, while the remaining 90% lies in getting people on board and rowing in the right direction.

The Dangers of Fear:

In some organizations, a culture of fear may hinder the identification and discussion of problems. When individuals are afraid to speak up about what is broken, valuable insights and solutions are lost. It is crucial for leaders to create a safe and open environment where employees feel empowered to voice their concerns and contribute to problem-solving initiatives. By fostering a culture of psychological safety, organizations can tap into the full potential of their workforce.

The Impact of Size:

As organizations grow in size, the importance of alignment becomes even more pronounced. The larger the organization, and the bigger the problem, the less value comes from simply knowing the solution. In these complex scenarios, the ability to rally teams, departments, and even entire organizations towards a common goal becomes paramount. Without alignment, even the most brilliant solution may go unrealized.

Actionable Advice:

  • 1. Foster Open Communication: Create channels and platforms where employees can freely express their thoughts, ideas, and concerns. Encourage regular feedback sessions, team meetings, and cross-functional collaborations to promote open dialogue and problem-solving.
  • 2. Lead by Example: As a leader, it is essential to demonstrate the importance of alignment by aligning your own actions with the organization's goals. Your behavior sets the tone for the entire team, so lead with transparency, integrity, and a shared sense of purpose.
  • 3. Invest in Team Building: Strong teams are built on trust, respect, and shared goals. Invest in team-building activities that foster collaboration, enhance communication, and strengthen relationships. This will create a cohesive unit that can work together towards problem-solving effectively.


While identifying problems is a vital first step, the true value lies in the ability to align people and mobilize them towards a common objective. In today's complex and rapidly changing world, organizations must prioritize effective communication, diplomacy, and alignment over technical skills alone. By fostering a culture of open communication, overcoming the barriers of fear, and investing in team-building, organizations can harness the true power of alignment and unlock their full problem-solving potential. Remember, finding problems is only 10% of the value; the remaining 90% comes from aligning and mobilizing people towards the right solution.

Hatch New Ideas with Glasp AI 🐣

Glasp AI allows you to hatch new ideas based on your curated content. Let's curate and create with Glasp AI :)