How Reading Books and Pinterest's Word-of-Mouth Strategy Can Impact Your Success


Hatched by Glasp

Aug 30, 2023

3 min read


How Reading Books and Pinterest's Word-of-Mouth Strategy Can Impact Your Success

In today's digital age, where information is readily available at our fingertips, it's easy to assume that people are reading less. However, according to David Perell, people actually consume knowledge from various sources, such as books and articles, to expand their understanding of the world. In fact, reading books is not only a way to gain knowledge but also a great source of inspiration for writing. Perell suggests that 90% of ideas come from books, while the remaining 10% is original thought. So, if you're looking for ideas to write about, reading more books could give you a significant advantage.

But how does this idea of reading books connect with the growth of Pinterest, a popular social media platform? Surprisingly, there are some common points that can be drawn between these two seemingly unrelated topics.

One common thread is the power of word-of-mouth. Pinterest, in its early days, relied heavily on word-of-mouth to grow its user base from a mere 3,000 to a staggering 73 million. The company launched a campaign called "Pin-It-Forward," which utilized bloggers to publicize Pinterest. These bloggers created boards based on specific themes and shared them through blog posts, linking to posts from other bloggers. This collaborative effort not only promoted Pinterest but also encouraged users to create their own boards and share them with others. By leveraging the influence of bloggers and facilitating community-driven content, Pinterest was able to reach entire communities and expand its user base exponentially.

Interestingly, Pinterest's success can also be attributed to the pride users take in their boards. Pinterest boards are carefully curated collections that reflect users' taste and creative expressions. Users are proud to showcase their artistic capabilities and share their boards with others. This pride and the desire to show off what they have discovered or created make Pinterest a powerful marketing tool in itself. When users interact with the platform, they are inadvertently marketing Pinterest to their own network.

So, what actionable advice can we derive from these insights?

  • 1. Read more books: As Perell suggests, reading books can provide you with a vast pool of ideas and inspiration for your own writing. By expanding your knowledge through books, you can gain a competitive advantage in your field.
  • 2. Harness the power of word-of-mouth: Just like Pinterest did with its "Pin-It-Forward" campaign, consider how you can leverage the influence of community leaders or influencers to spread the word about your product or service. Engage with them and provide them with the tools to promote your offerings.
  • 3. Create a shareable experience: Whether it's through a social media platform like Pinterest or any other product or service, strive to create an experience that users are proud to share. Give them a sense of ownership and enable them to showcase their creativity or accomplishments. This will not only encourage user engagement but also serve as a powerful marketing tool for your brand.

In conclusion, the power of reading books and the word-of-mouth strategy employed by Pinterest both highlight the importance of leveraging existing knowledge and community-driven efforts to achieve success. By incorporating these insights into your own endeavors and following the actionable advice provided, you can enhance your chances of growth and create a more engaging, shareable experience for your audience.

Hatch New Ideas with Glasp AI 🐣

Glasp AI allows you to hatch new ideas based on your curated content. Let's curate and create with Glasp AI :)